1) Since there is no evidence that a god actually exists any attributions we might give it (be it holy, good or just plain asshole) have no real meaning. That being said, a superficial read of the bible makes it obvious that the god described in those pages is one of the most unpleasant characters in the history of fiction.
2) Have you seen people study hard for a test, pass it and then give credit to god for their good score? Do you really think that belief in god was responsible for their success? Of course not. I don’t feel inclined to give religion, or belief in gods, any credit for such human actions and thoughts.
3) Just as there are peaceful Christians there are Christian nerve wrecks. It is obvious then that god belief is not the actual deciding factor.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
4) Believers either misattribute their efforts to god or use god as an excuse to not take responsibility for their own decisions (have you ever heard the expression “I will leave it in god’s hands?”).
5) The supposed peace these believers feel from god actually originates from themselves. That peace I felt as a Christian is still there even though I have since realized that a god as nothing to do with it.
There is peace in knowing that you are responsible for your own life. That you can take care of yourself. That one is actually an adult who has no need for a sky daddy. That life is precious and that one should live it to the fullest everyday.
Why would we be so condescending to those that believe in a heavenly care taker by giving undue deference to their myths? Why would ignorance be a positive state for them to be in if we are not willing (or not even possible) to be in such a state ourselves?
Part of what motivates me to critique or expose such evidence lacking beliefs is plain and simple respect. Respect for people, respect of their intellect. The realization that all are capable of understanding if they give themselves a chance. That, I think, is actual respect.
Take care. Thanks for the question.
guilt fear mass insanity christianity maniacal biblical ramblings beliefs jesus christ excuse narrow-minded bigoted asshole spiritual nuts pissed satan loves soulless atheist pro choice abortion lesbians atheism buttons